[mythtv-users] Comcast OnDemand on Multiple STBs

David Shay david at shay.net
Sun Nov 11 13:46:01 UTC 2007

On 11/11/07, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:

> <snip>

>  Reading the database is not really the right approach - querying the
> backend via the protocol would be.
>
> Even that is not necessary for this piece of information -- it is
> available via the status port on 6544.  In this case, you can get quite a
> bit of info from the XML status on http://my.myth.ip:6544/xml    You get a
> list of encoders, and if one is recording, you will see what program,
> callsign, and channel it is tuned to.

A complete solution could look like this:

* Local .lircrc entries on each frontend with appropriate irexec entries for
the keys which you want to use to control the STB. I am assuming these will
have to be a unique set of navigation and "enter" keys since otherwise they
would conflict with the function and meaning of those in myth.  These irexec
entries would call a script on the local frontend which would:

* call wget on the backend status port.  Parse this to determine which the
video-on-demand tuner.  Personally, I would cache this output for a minute
or two locally to avoid repeated unnecessary calls to the status port.  Once
the tuner was determined use "rexec" or the remote-execution mechanism of
your choice to call an "irsend" script on the backend with the desired
parameters.