[mythtv-users] Duplicate matching doesn't seem to work

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 22:28:57 UTC 2007

Brett Kosinski wrote:
>> I understand the logic that if there is no subtitle and no description then it must assume they are different episodes  but if they have different descriptions but just each have a blank subtitle surely it would make sense to ignore the fact there are no subtitles and check the descriptions.
>
> Ahhh, I see, I *did* misunderstand, my apologies!  Yes, that scenario
> is a) kinda weird (having no subtitle, but accurate descriptions is...
> strange), and b) sounds like something that should at least be
> configurable, though I would agree with you that it's more likely a
> bug.
>
> In the mean time, is there a reason doing duplicate detection on just
> description isn't sufficient?  In your original post, you suggested
> that Myth detected the duplicate and only recorded the one instance.
> Is that not the behaviour you're looking for?
>
> Brett.

Here in the UK using Radio Times listings data, it is quite common to
see shows change from having subtitles to no subtitles, depending upon
which channel the show is broadcast, or which season we are on. This can
be quite frustrating! For example, episodes of Scrapheap Challenge on
More4 have no subtitles in the RT listings, even though they did
originally on Channel 4, and so a "match duplicates on subtitle" rule
results in these listings being scheduled for recording, even though the
descriptions are the same as before.

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T