[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 04:16:38 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 11:05 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've tried Myth on Fedora 5 and 6(BE & FE using Jarod's guides), Mythdora
> 3.2 & 4.0 (BE & FE), Ubuntu FF (FE only), and Mac OS X (FE only, albeit on
> a cracked copy running on a Dell laptop). Mythdora 4.0 was by far the
> easiest install and setup I've used. With my PVR-150 it's "just worked" on
> an Athlon 2500+ and an Intel Pentium D system as well as a few FE-only
> laptops. But Mythdora 4.0 is version 0.20.1 fixes, and upgrading to the
> latest stable release (0.20.2) involved jumping through a few hoops.
>
> I haven't tried Mythbuntu or KnoppMyth in a couple years, so I don't know
> about those distros.
>
> The big question, of course, is what exactly you need. Basic recording? Do
> you want lots of add-ons like MythMusic, Myth2iPod, MythIPTV (What's it
> called these days?), etc? Are you recording standard definition or do you
> want HD? Single standalone system or multiple FE & BE machines? Cable box or
> straight in? Etc., etc., etc.
>

> On Nov 11, 2007 10:48 PM, Arpotu <arpotu at apathynews.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey all, it's me again.
> >
> > As I look around for a good linux distro to build MythTV on, I find that
> > some support it better than others.  Is there a "best Linux" for MythTV?
> > I suspect this is a somewhat political question, as one can "make it
> > work"
> > for most distros.  I've tried it on Ubuntu, which is iffy - and I've
> > heard
> > it works on Fedora, but does it (easily) work with CentOS or RHEL?  Pure
> > Debian?  Mandriva?  Knoppix?  Is it better, in general, to use
> > precompiled
> > packages or does MythTV work better compiled from scratch?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Arpotu.

I am running mythtv on FC5.  Granted it is eol'd, however, it is very very
stable and that is my priority.   If you have good hardware, I think the
question would be what version of kernel , drivers and myth go well towards
building a stable system, not really what distro.  Once I have found this
combination, I stuck with it until something (like schedulesdirect, for
example) forces me to upgrade.  EOL wont stop me, I compiled my own rpms
from the atrmps srpms.

As for your other question,  I prefer to keep on track with atrpms as they
incorporate the latest fixes.  But I only install the next updated RPM if I
have a very good reason.   Technically, I am not really compiling from
scratch although I am not really using precompiled rpms either.