[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Arpotu arpotu at apathynews.com
Mon Nov 12 04:37:54 UTC 2007

LOL - I want it all ;)

Nah, what I'm really looking for is a TV portal for my existing movie
library (most of which have been compressed via DivX and archived).

I would like to capture and compress new TV shows and add them to my
library - doesn't have to be HD (haven't subscribed to that service
anyway), but that's secondary to being able to just scroll/search through
the videos I have online with a remote and watch them with a TV.

I suppose a good solution for me would be to load parts of the collection
seasonally - ie, the scary movies for Halloween, Christmas Movies for
Christmas, the ubiquitous always-on SciFi collection, etc, so the kids
could search for "interesting" seasonal movies without my intervention.

Currently I have a stand-alone box, but I do have a MySQL server on a
different machine, so I suppose a distributed solution is in my future
(I'm sure I'm part Gnome/Heterodyne - just can't get tinkering out of my
blood).

Unfortunately, my cable company is TWC, so I don't think I'll be able to
stream directly to my capture card.  I'm half-considering going back to
non-digital basic cable so I *can* stream directly.  Hmm - that leads me
into another question - "Which cable companies *do* allow direct streaming
to  a capture card?"  I have a few options where I live, so maybe I'll
jump ship to a "friendlier" provider.

Cheers,
Arpotu

> I've tried Myth on Fedora 5 and 6(BE & FE using Jarod's guides),
Mythdora 3.2 & 4.0 (BE & FE), Ubuntu FF (FE only), and Mac OS X (FE
only, albeit on a
> cracked copy running on a Dell laptop). Mythdora 4.0 was by far the easiest
> install and setup I've used. With my PVR-150 it's "just worked" on an
Athlon
> 2500+ and an Intel Pentium D system as well as a few FE-only laptops.
But Mythdora 4.0 is version 0.20.1 fixes, and upgrading to the latest
stable release (0.20.2) involved jumping through a few hoops.

> I haven't tried Mythbuntu or KnoppMyth in a couple years, so I don't
know about those distros.

> The big question, of course, is what exactly you need. Basic recording?
Do you want lots of add-ons like MythMusic, Myth2iPod, MythIPTV (What's
it called these days?), etc? Are you recording standard definition or do
you want HD? Single standalone system or multiple FE & BE machines?
Cable box or
> straight in? Etc., etc., etc.
>
> On Nov 11, 2007 10:48 PM, Arpotu <arpotu at apathynews.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all, it's me again.
>>
>> As I look around for a good linux distro to build MythTV on, I find
that some support it better than others.  Is there a "best Linux" for
MythTV? I suspect this is a somewhat political question, as one can
"make it work"
>> for most distros.  I've tried it on Ubuntu, which is iffy - and I've heard
>> it works on Fedora, but does it (easily) work with CentOS or RHEL?
Pure Debian?  Mandriva?  Knoppix?  Is it better, in general, to use