[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase runs from command line, but not from cron

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:32:13 UTC 2007

On 12/11/2007, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> Thank you for responding.
>
> > Which distro are you using
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> > and how did you make the changes? By editing the /etc/crontab file with vi or nano?
>
> To make the entry in cron, I used "crontab -e". It calls up a text
> interface, which I think is nano-based.

I'd suspect permissions or environment (home directory) problems too,
but in case it's not:

Have a look at the xml output file that's being produced and see if
it's missing the final line  (   </tv>  I think).  I use tv_grab_uk_rt
in an identical script to you and for a while tv_grab_uk_rt suffered
from a bug when run outside a shell (eg from cron) which meant it
didn't close the file properly (something to do with the progress bar
IIRC).  I hacked a fix for a few months by cat -ing </tv> and a line
feed to the end of the xml file before running mythfilldatabase.

Within the last couple of weeks I've upgraded xmltv to the SVN version
and that bug has now been fixed.

HTH