[mythtv-users] OT: HOWTO F7 to F8 via yum

Ralf Kleineisel ralf at kleineisel.de
Mon Nov 12 16:17:01 UTC 2007

Mike LaPlante wrote:

> Note, don't blame me if your system explodes and catches fire to your
> entire house. I have not tested this myself, but I may try it on one of
> my less important F7 systems. Also I'm not sure how nicely this plays
> with ATrpms, assuming you could edit the atrpms.repo file and change the
> version.

Works fine, I did several machines from 6 to 7 that way and one from 7
to 8. Sometimes a few dependencies require some work.

If you want to be careful and have 10G or so of hard drive space to
spare you might use a dual boot config:
- Create a second root partition
- Boot from a rescue CD (e.g. Fedora install DVD)
- dd your root partition onto the spare one
- Edit grub.conf and fstab

Now you can upgrade one of the installs and if anything breaks you still
have your working install.