[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Arpotu arpotu at apathynews.com
Mon Nov 12 18:27:28 UTC 2007

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 11:16:38PM -0500, Chris Isip wrote:
>> EOL wont stop me, I compiled my own rpms from the atrmps srpms.
>
> I'm dropping EOL'd distros for a reason - I can't fill in Red Hat's
> place in making sure your system is secure anymore. Even if you
> rebuild all of ATrpms for EOL'd distros you will still face the
> missing updates for kernels, glibcs etc.
>
> And since mythtv requires access to the net for scedules etc EOL'd
> mythtv systems get exposed.
>
> I recommned going RHEL/CentOS/SL if you want a stable system with less
> frequent mass updates :)
> --
> Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Ah, you said the magic OS!  I was hoping CentOS would work well with
MythTV, but since RHEL is mainly aimed at enterprise servers (and I don't
see any Myth RPM's when I search yum), I figured I would need to compile
it from source.  No worries, I can "configure/make" like it's nobody's
business, but I've come to really like getting regular updates from an
upstream vendor (so I can point the finger away from me when something
breaks ;)).

Cheers,
Arpotu.