[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:40:02 UTC 2007

> Ah, you said the magic OS!  I was hoping CentOS would work well with
> MythTV, but since RHEL is mainly aimed at enterprise servers (and I don't
> see any Myth RPM's when I search yum), I figured I would need to compile
> it from source.  No worries, I can "configure/make" like it's nobody's
> business, but I've come to really like getting regular updates from an
> upstream vendor (so I can point the finger away from me when something
> breaks ;)).

I highly recommend gentoo especially if anyone is interested in
building things from source. The ebuilds (used with the package
manager) will allow you to build certain SVN versions of mythtv
directly by one simple command. And for the more experienced users if
you want a different SVN version you rename the ebuild with the mythtv
revision number at the end and copy it to your local portage tree and
then the ebuild will install that version.

John