[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:51:00 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 10:27 AM, Arpotu <arpotu at apathynews.com> wrote:
> Ah, you said the magic OS!  I was hoping CentOS would work well with
> MythTV, but since RHEL is mainly aimed at enterprise servers (and I don't
> see any Myth RPM's when I search yum), I figured I would need to compile
> it from source.  No worries, I can "configure/make" like it's nobody's
> business, but I've come to really like getting regular updates from an
> upstream vendor (so I can point the finger away from me when something
> breaks ;)).

Over time I've migrated all my personal myth installations to Centos.
I'm VERY fond of the stableness of the RHEL cores, and as long as you
aren't running bleeding-edge hardware (hence the need for a bleeding
edge kernel) you'll be very happy.

The only caveat I can offer, is that right now there are a couple of
packages from ATRPMS that are in the "testing" train, that you have to
enable to complete a "yum install mythtv-suite". But in hundreds of
hours of recording, and on machines that are thrashing 24/7, it's
solid and stable.. and honestly, at the end of the day, my only
choice.