[mythtv-users] How to play music/videos (mythvideo/mythmusic) on remote mythfrontend

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Nov 12 19:31:58 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 12:41 PM, John Veness <John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk>
wrote:

> Bill Williamson wrote:
> > I know about the history of how myth was designed, then split to
> > front/back ends (and am NOT complaining), but a "proper" home AV
> > server:
> >
> > -Would have a detailed, documented remote API over technology of
> > choice (soap/socket/xmlrpc/who cares)
> > -Would only require a single port to be opened between the client and
> server
> > --would NOT require (nor allow if properly firewalled) the client to
> > talk to mysql/file shares/etc
> > -Would accept a capabilities string from the client and either
> > (minimum) hide/mark incompatible files (flacs for non-flac clients) or
> > (ideal) transcode
> > -Would NOT depend on matched client/server versions (the main reason
> > this is the case currently is that the client has to talk to mysql
> > directly.... a full client-server change would negate this issue)
> >
> > Again, Myth evolved from a Tivo replcaement to a full
> > multiple-client-server system, so I understand why this isn't the case
> > (and again am not complaining).
> >
> > The "external player" dilemma isn't really a dilemma becuase most/all
> > external players allow you to pipe content to them via stdin.
>
> I must say I agree with the above. A 'proper' client/server system as
> described would be marvellous. Does anyone know if any devs are working
> on any of these things?

It's client/server.  Your backend in the server.  Your frontend is the
client.  NFS/Samba is the protocol.  Streaming video content from the
backend only removes the flexibility of MythVideo from using any external
player.  And you have to remember that both MythVideo and MythMusic (as well
as Gallery also) have features to write content from the frontend to the
data store, not just read, so streaming protocols only go so far and then
you will still have a requirement to mount the data locally or come up with
an additional protocol for pushing data the other direction.  Seems a waste
of resources when NFS/Samba do it so well already.

Kevin