[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Calvin Harrigan charrig_mythtv at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 12 19:42:28 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> Ah, you said the magic OS!  I was hoping CentOS would work well with
>> MythTV, but since RHEL is mainly aimed at enterprise servers (and I don't
>> see any Myth RPM's when I search yum), I figured I would need to compile
>> it from source.  No worries, I can "configure/make" like it's nobody's
>> business, but I've come to really like getting regular updates from an
>> upstream vendor (so I can point the finger away from me when something
>> breaks ;)).
>>
> I highly recommend gentoo especially if anyone is interested in
> building things from source. The ebuilds (used with the package
> manager) will allow you to build certain SVN versions of mythtv
> directly by one simple command. And for the more experienced users if
> you want a different SVN version you rename the ebuild with the mythtv
> revision number at the end and copy it to your local portage tree and
> then the ebuild will install that version.
>
> John

I've been using mythtv on gentoo for years now. No problems at all.
Ebuilds for new versions are timely and I have the flexibility to
upgrade/update at will what I need.  I agree that Gentoo is not for
everyone, but if you try it for a while, you might like it.  Doesn't
hurt that I use gentoo as my main desktop as well.

Calvin...