[mythtv-users] OT: New Motherboard PCI Slots

Brandon Penglase da5id2001 at SpaceServices.net
Mon Nov 12 22:29:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:50:42 -0800 (PST)
PK <urbnsr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am looking to rebuild one of my MythTV boxes with a newer
> mainstream AMD based system (AM2). As I look at the ATX motherboards
> on Newegg's site (and TigerDirect), the number of PCI slots seem to
> default to 2-3 slots. There are a few 4 slot boards and no 5
> slot-ers. I realise PCI-e slots need their room, but I like to space
> out my Hauppauge PVR-xxx tuners for air circulation. Am I looking in
> the wrong places, or should I be looking for something else?
>
>   What is everyone else doing?
>
> Thanks -
>
> PK.

Has anyone ever tried out Magma's PCI expansion products? Here is a
link to a 7 PCI expansion chassis:
http://www.magma.com/products/pci/7PCI/index.html

I figure if you get the PCI-Express card to go into the host system,
you shouldn't lose much bandwidth between the expansion and the host,
and this could vastly expand a backend system with tuners.
The link above is to the 7 slot, and they have others too. Also, you
can expand out to PCI-Express.

One draw back is the cost. The 7 slot expansion, plus host card
(PCI-Express) would run you $1599.

Would be neat to hear if anyone has tried these, and how well they
worked.