[mythtv-users] Something not right with UI

Myth User MythUser at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 12 22:50:25 UTC 2007

Let me just start off by saying that I am new to MythTV, and Linux in general. I have used RHL for a file server for my family for a couple of years now, but that is no indication of anything, as I set it up, it worked and has been working ever since. I haven't touched it.
That said I have decided to build myself a PVR out of an unused desktop that I had kicking around. It is a decent system, a P4 1.4, 1 gig of ram, and about 1Tb of Hdd space. Now I have an ATI AIW 9600 in it, which I am not trying to use as anything other than the display. I am not using it for capture, I am going to try to do that through a firewire link to my cable box.
I decided to go with a RedHat product as my previous experiece with RHL was quite good, so I decided to go with Fedora (Yes I know it isn't really a RH product but that is just semantics in my mind) version 7 to be exact. I went though all the instructions in the HOWTO on the Fedora Mythology website (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php) and everything worked alright until I got to the step where I had to run Myth-Setup. It starts, and tells me that it is resizing the images and such, but the UI lacks any buttons. It shows the Grey background, and a wrench icon in the top right corner and the word MythTV down the left side, but no buttons. I can select things with the keyboard and enter the setup screens (I cant see what I am selecting, but the resulting dialog does show).
I am using the latest driver from ATI, and I know the MythTV site says that MythTV cant/wont use ATI AIW cards for capture, but I am wondering if there is a problem with display as well?
IF there isn't how can I fix this problem?

Any help that isn't along the lines of "Get a different graphics card" unless there is a technical reason to do so would be greatly appreciated.