[mythtv-users] Recording of Sequential shows

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 12:11:57 UTC 2007

On 13/11/2007, Dan Cotter <dancotter2003 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else have trouble recording shows which are on one after the
> other on the same channel?
>
> For example I scheduled to records 4 shows in a row on the same channel,
> each was set to start 5 minutes early and end 10 minutes late. Every second
> recording failed due to conflict, but when I originally set the recordings
> there were no conflicts. I have two tunners so I don't know why this
> happens, because I am not recording anything else on any other channels, so
> two tuners were available and there wasn't more than 2 recordings to be done
> at any one time.

If you had two tuners free then I think it should have worked.  Have a
look in "Upcoming recordings" for the next time it happens and see
what it says about conflicts.  Otherwise you have a configuration
problem, eg myth doesn't know those programmes are available on the
second tuner.

> If recordings of the same channel over lap, can it write to two files
> simulatenously from a single tuner or does it have to use two tuners?

You have to use 2 tuners.  There is a multirec branch in development
which will allow the same tuner to create two (or more] separate files
for two channels, but only for DVB and only for channels on the same
multiplex.

> I guess the only solution is to make the first show 5 minutes early, and the
> last show 10 minutes late, and the middle ones nothing. But my TV is often
> out by 5-10 minutes so a show would be across 2 recording files :(

There are settings on the backend for pre and post roll which normally
apply an offset to the start and stop recording times, but which are
automatically overridden in case of conflict.  It's a bit of a hack
and you may end up with bits of a programme in the wrong file but it
can be usefull though if you don't have enough tuners.