[mythtv-users] Best Linux for MythTV

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:02:01 UTC 2007

On 11/13/07, Jason Spears <shadestalker at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Debian Etch with mythtv packages from
> debian-multimedia.org.  Should you decide to compile and dpkg your own
> releases, the helper scripts available for Debian make it dead easy,
> especially given that you can use the src debs from
> debian-multimedia.org as a starting point.
>
> I hesitate to recommend Debian testing simply because it's a moving
> target, and updating mythtv and the underlying platform leaves too
> much troubleshooting to do when things break.  This is why I recommend
> Etch, but if you like to fiddle and want more cool, recent stuff then
> testing is the way to go.

i second debian, but i prefer the unstable branch.  i've been running
it for years and yes it is a moving system that occasionally breaks
but as long as you keep current on the issues it's not that bad.
besides, how often does your mythbox get upgraded?  we usually upgrade
when a new release comes out or when a particularly awesome feature is
committed to svn.  otherwise, if it works don't touch it!

plus, using debian-multimedia.org as a start and with the appropriate
src lines in your source.list, compiling svn for the first time is
just about as easy as an apt-get build-dep mythtv to pull in all the
dependencies.  though for some reason i think i had to install the
mysql qt library since it wasn't brought in automatically.

all our machines are debian unstable here so we make liberal use of
apt-proxy which definitely speeds everything up.  imho if you have
more than one machine on your network running debian there's no reason
not to run apt-proxy on one of them.

i'm obviously a debian lover and if anyone needs any help feel free to
ask me off list.