[mythtv-users] Best commercial detection?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 14 05:51:11 UTC 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:41 PM, Steve O' Brien wrote:

> In the US.  Comcast standard non-HD service.  Most of the shows I'm
> recording do have network logos, although a couple of my local
> affiliate channels seem to display "their" logo occasionally, which
> messes things up as Myth doesn't seem to recognize that as being
> equal to say the NBC peacock.
>
> Most of my recordings are on the major broadcast networks, although
> a few other channels thrown into the mix as well (TNT, History,
> Discovery).  Would be happy if I could get NBC, ABC, etc happy.
> I've tried swapping around with all of the different methods, Blank
> or Blank/Scene seem to be working best, but it's a tough call.  I'd
> be curious to hear what works best for everyone else...

I'm using All methods and it seems to work especially well with HD
content but I use it on a bunch of SD content from DirecTV and it does
a reasonably good job. I have to turn it off for music video programs
I record (120 Minutes, We are the 80's, etc.) because it skips on all
the scene changes. I also uncheck the Strict Commercial Detection box.
I tried the Experimental Commercial Detection a while back but it
wasn't very good. I don't know how much work has been done on it
lately, but it might be better than it was.

I'd say I have about 85% success with it.