[mythtv-users] DVD drive exception emask errors

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:19:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I posted about this to the Fedora Forum, and not many people seem to
have had as much of a problem as I'm having with it, so I thought I'd
ask if anyone else was having this.

I'm running Fedora 7, 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 and whenever anything tries to
access the DVD drive, I very frequently get the following:
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata1.00: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x5a data 80 in
         res 40/00:03:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ata1: soft resetting port
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
ata1: EH complete

Sometimes the DVD drive works, and I can watch a DVD, however other
times the DVD doesn't work at all. The problem started a couple of
weeks ago whilst watching a DVD, suddenly the program froze and the
cpu utilisation was very high. I had to reboot to stop, and dmesg was
being filled with the above error. I thought it was a hardware
problem, so I bought a new DVDRW drive, but I still get the same
problem.

I'm now getting the error every time I boot, and its slowing
mythfrontend's launch - the scaling theme images box comes up, then
the theme appears but with no icons on it, then after about a minute
the theme loads properly, I get "Failed to run 'cdrecord --scanbus'"
on stderr.

This is really important for me, because I can't watch DVDs or burn
data backups at the moment.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Jonny