[mythtv-users] BBC HD h264 how to handle

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 16:38:47 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 16:03:17 Robert Longbottom wrote:

> My experience is the same as Oliver.  It plays, but my hardware isn't up
> to the job, so I get pauses (it just about plays at 0.5x).  Also I find
> that when I first switch to BBC HD in live TV it errors saying something
> about "can't play video" and returns me to the menu, but then when I go
> back into Watch TV it starts up ok.
>
> This is over DVB-S.  Don't know about DVB-T.

ISTR that the BBC H.264 stream has some features which are only supported by
the latest and greatest ffmpeg - probably later than most distros are using.
So it might just me a case of waiting for the upgrade cycle to take care of
it, or building ffmpeg from SVN and being brave. I have used my frontend to
view ripped streams from a friend's DVB-S and it *just* keeps up (AMD Athlon
x2 3800, a bit OC'ed). Normally, I'd transcode those streams to 720p AVIs,
which tax the poor little machine a bit less.

As for DVB-T, BBC-HD is only being transmitted on the Crystal Palace
transmitter on a low power signal - so very few people can receive it.
Haven't got DVB-S, so can't comment on it.

Cheers,

Neil