[mythtv-users] mythtv & the future of HD

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Nov 15 03:00:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 08:23:16PM -0500, Rod Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 19:20:33 Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
> wrote:
> >
> > So, would this be the answer to my original thread question?
> >
> > ---Other than free, over the air HD broadcasts, we mythtv users are
> > basically SOL when it comes to cable/sat HD viewing, unless by chance we
> > get lucky and some piece of hardware comes out that allows us to copy the
> > HD streams unencrypted---
> >
> > I know it's a grim outlook, but is that the utter truth for us mythtv
> > fans/users?
>
> No. Two points, one of which I've already made:
>
> 1) Many (I suspect most) cable companies DO provide at least SOME digital
>    content unencrypted. This is often just the OTA channels, but it is
>    something (some people, myself included, can't tune the OTA channels
>    with an antenna; we need cable or satellite to get them). This of course
>    means that we're still at the mercy of the cable companies, but it does
>    make for a slightly less harsh assessment than you've provided.

     I think that all of us that are interested in HD content but perceive
ourselves to be locked out should start pestering our providers. Make it
clear what you want and ask them for it. Ask alternative providers if they
provide HD channels in a recordable format. Tell them all that you will
switch to the first provider that offers what you want.

     Probably won't help.

     Can't hurt.

     We're bound to skew their perceptions either way.

     I took this approach with phone spamers from the local cableco when
they didn't carry SciFi.

     Them: Hey, do you wanna buy some cable?
     Me: Do you carry the Sci-Fi Channel yet?
     Them: Um, No.
     Me: Sorry, I'm not interested. Good-Bye. <click>

[deletia]