[mythtv-users] how much is enough -- configuring a server

Kevin Nelson kevin at soundcyst.com
Thu Nov 15 06:24:16 UTC 2007

I sent an email out last week about distributed video systems and I
have a follow up question cause i'm a complete n00b when it comes to
linux and video hardware (i'm an audio guy!).

anyways, i'm setting up a distributed system with about 8 client
machines and 4 pcHDTV 5500 cards. is setting up a dual chip Xeon
system overkill for this kind of server? I spoke with someone at a
local computer shop that I generally trust (when I can't fix things
myself) and the tech told me that it was way more power than I need.
I've also read that linux doesn't yet handle multithreading
efficiently enough to make 8 cores worthwhile. I figure that 8gb of
ram and 8TB of storage is enough, but i'm worried about the processor
load if four people in the house want to watch live tv at the same
time (yes, the server will have at least 4 tuner cards). Help in this
area would be very greatly appreciated.

thanks!
-kevin