[mythtv-users] how much is enough -- configuring a server

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 07:20:56 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 11:24 PM, Kevin Nelson <kevin at soundcyst.com> wrote:
> anyways, i'm setting up a distributed system with about 8 client
> machines and 4 pcHDTV 5500 cards. is setting up a dual chip Xeon
> system overkill for this kind of server? I spoke with someone at a

If this is simply recording, then serving files, then yes, it's way
overkill. The official FAQ page for the card says the minimum CPU is a
400 MHz Pentium, so the encoding must be hardware-based (a 400 MHz CPU
wouldn't encode even SD with a software-based card).

And file-sharing is definitely NOT a CPU-intensive task.

I'd say a single Core Duo or Athlon 64 would be more than enough for
the tasks you describe.

And I'd also say 8 gigs of RAM is far more than you need - if this
system is doing only encoding and file serving, then 1 gig (maybe even
512 megs) should be sufficient.

Calvin