[mythtv-users] Monit for monetring mythbackend

David Greaves myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Nov 15 11:13:20 UTC 2007

John wrote:
> I'm trying to use monit to monitor the backend but I
> can't get it to work properly. I followed the
> instructions on the MythTv wiki except I start the
> front and back as a user so I added this to the
> monitrc file.
You say you added this?
Are you using /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend because that usually specifies the user
that myth runs as.

Post your monitrc please.

> When monit trys to start the backend, I
> get Unable to read config file mysql.txt and Could not
> create //.mythtv. I figured it was a path problem so I
> did an echo $PATH and it said home/mythtv/bin so I
> added this to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend script
> but it didn't help.
I would restore that to the original state.

I think your problem is that monit should run the starup script as root so the
startup script can change to the myth user.

You made monit run the script as a user but without proper initialisation (ie
setting paths etc).

Before you changed it did /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend work?

David