[mythtv-users] Upgrading backend, need recommendations

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:39:56 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 12:34 PM, MythTV <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:
> gibble wrote:
> > Do you have RRD running and creating graphs so you can see where the slow
> > down is?
> >
> > If the delay is when you go to the watch recordings screen, could it not be
> > the network?  Or the front end that's causing the delay rather than the
> > backend?
> >

> Do you or anyone else have any good examples of how to do this with rrd?

If anyone's interested, I've installed mrtg on my ubuntu backend, and
then made configs to check for cpu usage (user and nice percentages),
disk space usage on two disks,  5 and 15 minute load averages,  memory
usage (free and used), network interface traffic (requires snmpd),
total number of running processes, and disk transactions per second on
two disks.

to make these graphs, i borrowed some scripts around the internet and
wrote a few shell scripts of my own.  for my mrtg installation, i had
to install snmpd (had to change the default config to let the public
community have read-only access) and sar (and the related sa1 crontab,
which isn't installed by default when you install sysstat).

if anyone else is interested, i can tar up my /etc/mrtg and pass it along.

--
Regards,
Bill Omer