[mythtv-users] Monit for monetring mythbackend

John jharitos at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 14:44:31 UTC 2007

Thanks for the help. In my setup, I don't have a
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend. The /etc/init.d folder is
a link to the /etc/rc.d/init.d folder and the only
file I have in there is mythbackend not
mythtv-backend. I'm using F8 and I got my myth
packages from ATrpms. To get the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend to work as a user I had
to modify the mythbackend script to allow a non-root
user to use it so I don't know if this causing a
problem. I had to change the paths from var/run to
var/run/mythtv and I changed the owner of the mythtv
folder to my non-root user.

Here's my montrc file

# Monit control file
#
# Comments begin with a '#' and extend through the end
of the line.
# Blank lines between program entries are ignored.
Keywords are case
# insensitive. All path's MUST BE FULLY QUALIFIED,
starting with '/'
#
#
set daemon  30
set logfile /var/log/monit.log
admin on any event
set httpd port 2812 and
    allow localhost
    allow 127.0.0.1
    allow admin:****     # user 'admin' with password
'monit'

check process mythbackend with pidfile
/var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid
 group mythtv
 start program = "/etc/init.d/mythbackend restart"
	as uid mythtv and gid mythtv
 stop program  = "/etc/init.d/mythbackend stop"
	as uid mythtv and gid mythtv
 if failed port 6544 proto http then restart
 if 10 restarts within 15 cycles then timeout
 mode manual
 depends on mysql

check process mysql with pidfile
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
 group mythtv
 start program = "/etc/init.d/mysqld start"
 stop program = "/etc/init.d/mysqld stop"
 if failed port 3306 then restart
 if 10 restarts within 15 cycles then timeout
 mode manual

To change the user from root, I added

as uid mythtv and gid mythtv