[mythtv-users] mythtv & the future of HD

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Nov 15 21:43:16 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 1:33 PM, David Brieck Jr. wrote:

> I hope that I just got someone who didn't know what they were doing
> either, but what are you supposed to do when a representative of the
> FCC tells you one thing and everyone else says something else? I mean,
> I can't go back to that same person and be like, you're wrong and I
> want to file a complaint.

Yes, you can. What I usually say is, "Clearly, I need help that is
beyond your understanding. Please put me in contact with your manager."

> In the mean time I'm able to get about 10 channels in HD OTA, but I'd
> really like to get them over the cable so that I don't have to deal
> with the hassles of small jumps in my recordings because a channels
> dipps out a little. I also can't get the Harrisburg CBS OTA station
> which happens to carry Steelers games. I can get the channel in SD on
> cable, but obviously can't get it in HD since my provider is
> encrypting things.

It might actually help if you phrase your question a little
differently. For instance, "I have an HDTV with an IEEE-1394 input. I
am unable to view digital channels on my TV from my STB's IEEE-1394
output and my cable provider is unwilling to do anything about it.
Because these channels I'm trying to view are normally available over
the air, I feel they are out of FCC compliance. Can you help?"

They LOVE the idea that they might be able to slap a cable provider
with a fine. Look what they did about Janet Jackson's breast!