[mythtv-users] MythTV Status in your MOTD

John Veness John.Veness.myth at pelago.org.uk
Thu Nov 15 22:41:27 UTC 2007

Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> Gidday,
>
> The other day I was recompiling some kernels during the day on our
> MythTV backend, which at the time happened to be recording my wifes
> favourite program (Grey's Anatomy, we discovered it part way through the
> season, so the repeats are good).  It turns out the compiling caused
> some issues with the recording (which reduced the WAF).
>
> So to increase the WAF, I'm making sure this doesn't happen again.  I've
> written a script that spits out the MythTV status which is then
> displayed in the MOTD.
>
> I've found this is a pretty effective way of letting me know of any
> upcoming recordings and what is going to be happening on the system in
> the next little while.  It is a whole lot easier than using the status
> page on MythWeb.
>
> I thought some of you might be interested. If you are, check out:
>   http://www.etc.gen.nz/projects/mythtv/mythtv-status.html
>
> Sample output:
>
> MythTV status for localhost
> ===========================
>
> Encoders:
> cerberus (9) - Idle
> cerberus (12) - Idle
>
> Scheduled Recordings:
> 2007-10-15 13:30:00 - Grey's Anatomy
> 2007-10-15 18:00:00 - 3 News
> 2007-10-15 20:30:00 - Mythbusters
> 2007-10-15 22:00:00 - Flight Of The Conchords
> 2007-10-16 13:30:00 - Grey's Anatomy
> 2007-10-16 18:00:00 - 3 News
>
> I run Debian, so there is a .deb.  For those not running Debian there is
> a tarball (but the MOTD updating glue is Debian specific at the moment).
> For those interested in hacking there is a git repository.
>
> Hopefully I'm not the only one that finds this useful.
>
> Cheers!

I haven't tried your script yet, but it sounds like it (or a modified
version of it) might be useful for something I've been meaning to do,
which is to generate a text file version of all the upcoming recordings.

I've had a couple of outages of my MythTV box recently, and I've
becoming so reliant on it that I find it very hard to go back to
'normal' TV, i.e. looking in listings magazines and trying to remember
which episodes of a show I have seen and which I haven't.

I was thinking that if I could get Myth to log (or email me) a list of
all upcoming recordings, that would be something I could use to guide my
normal TV watching if necessary.

I was thinking of a wget on mythweb, but a more nicely formatted text
file output would be easier to read.

Cheers,

John

--