[mythtv-users] Scheduling query

David Shay david at shay.net
Thu Nov 15 23:35:13 UTC 2007

On 11/15/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007 2:18 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 02:15:37PM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > >    Is there a later showing of the program?  Do you have the option
> > checked to
> > >    reschedule higher priority items?  If both of these are the case,
> > you can
> > >    see programs you normally would expect to be recorded to be bumped
> > in favor
> > >    of a "more optimal" use of tuners, etc.
> >

> > It would be impractical, wouldn't it -- because of the BUSQ's SQLness
> > -- to *log* why a program got scheduled in a certain way?
>

> Well, I think if you up the verboseness you get quite a bit of information
> on what the query is doing but I'm not sure exactly how much or how readable
> it is to the average person.
>
> Kevin

Just to clarify, not *all* of the magic is in the query.  It just
establishes an initial set of results, within which there are many
duplicates, redundant entries, etc.  There is quite a bit of post-processing
in the code which is where the verbose logging comes in and shows you the
results of those post-processing steps.  I would agree that the "average"
person probably wouldn't necessarily understand the output, however.  I was
doing some work in the scheduler area a while back and was using that output
and it only made any sense because I had become more intimately familiar
with the post-processing code itself. I still hope to get back to that code
soon, but work keeps intervening.  Darned end-of-year HR evaluation
processes...