[mythtv-users] how much is enough -- configuring a server

Wade mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Fri Nov 16 04:19:28 UTC 2007

Chris Ribe wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2007 9:50 AM, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:

>> the
>> TON
>
> While I won't argue that I/O is a potential issue, it not THAT big of an
> issue.  4 HD streams only amount to about 7MB/s of data.   If you have 4 HD
> tuners, you'll probably want more than one disk for storage, but you could
> get by with a  single SATA  disk.
>
> -chris

I don't know where everyone got this number of 4 streams.  The OP said
he was going to have 8 clients and 4 tuners.  That give a possible
maximum of 12 streams of data (+ 4 depending on how he sets up
commercial flagging).  Disk I/O will be his major concern. And it's not
total sustained throughput that will be the issue, it'll be all the
constant seeking that will be the issue...

  - Wade