[mythtv-users] BBC HD h264 how to handle

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Fri Nov 16 13:03:00 UTC 2007

On Fri 16 Nov 2007 10:11:09 David Greaves wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >> Take a look at the "ffmeg sync" thread on myth-dev to read up on the
> >> recent status.
> >
> > But you are right about it not coming to 0.20.2 (or any other 0.20
> > version).
>
> So does anyone have a decent mencoder incantation to transcode it into
> something just as high def but smaller and more playable?

That I can help with:

I find that if you install encode2mpeg - a rather nice frontend for mencoder,
then things like:

encode2mpeg -avi -avionly -o <output> -qmatrix hi-res -n p -ofps 25 -encode
0:4:2 <input.mpg>

produces a perfectly nice MPEG-4 AVI in about 10 hours for a 2 hour broadcast
on a 2.13Ghz Core 2 Duo. If you want uber high quality, then "-encode 0:4:3"
gives a 3 pass effort, which will take about 16 hours in total, but my eyes
just ain't that good to tell the difference. I suspect that resizing to
1280x720 would produce a much smaller file, while retaining picture quality.

The incantation about takes a typical 11Gb file and reduces it to about 7.5Gb,
keeping the resolution the same.

Cheers,

Neil