[mythtv-users] HELP: No temp tables permissions: (WAS: dd_v_ tables missing from mythconverg)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Nov 16 15:37:54 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> I will try it again, running mythtv-setup first.
>>
>> Anyone else have any good ideas? (I don't mind hearing *bad* ideas, but
>> I make no promises about using them!)
>
> the MythTV "Spring Cleaning" (TM):
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7

REALLY REALLY STUMPED HERE.

The problem is more basic than a mythconverg database error.
.
The error is actually 'errno 13'...that is, a *system permissions error*.

Mysql is not capable of creating the temporary tables!!!

WHAT!!!

What I am running:  SVN 14794 on Fedora 8rc2. Lots of disk space on the
OS disk (Video on separate disks)
When this first surfaced...sometime around upgrade to 14794 from 14726?
or so. 14830 failed to run with segfaults.. Cleaned up and recompiled
14794, Making current SVN at present but not tested yet.

What I did:
1) I did the spring cleaning backup by dumping the tables to be saved.
2) I dropped the mythconverg database and ran <mc.sql to create the
database again, and 'grant create temporary'...etc.
3) I started mythtv-setup and it started with the language prompt, as
for a new database
4) Mythtv-setup promptly failed at attempting to upgrade.,,segfault
5) I could get mythtv-setup into its setup pages, but it always
seg-faulted on exit..although the data was saved

THE ERROR IS 'errno 13'.

What I checked:
6) Mysql is the user and group for /var/lib/mysql. Permissions are 775
7) I created a /tmp/mysql directory, owned by mysql and perms are 775
and added a 'temp=/tmp/mysql' to the mysql stanza of my.cnf, and
restarted mysqld.
8) The mysql user is mythtv and mythtv is listed, with password in the
mysql.user table ..However, I note that that table shows that the users
mythtv does *NOT* have 'create_tmp_table_priv' (or
create_tmp_priv..can't remember the exact column), nor Lock_tables_priv.

Poking those to 'Y' does not seem to help.

SYMPTOM ANALYSIS. It *appears* that the 'upgrade schema' and
'mythfilldatabase' programs, *change the user* while running, so that
the system refuses the process the right to create the temp tables needed.
And yes, this makes no sense to me too!

But otherwise why is the error returned by qtmysql an 'errno 13'...a
systems error, NOT a driver error or a mysql error.

HELP...NOW I do not even have a running system!

Geoff