[mythtv-users] Mechanical cable splitter

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Nov 16 18:04:36 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 9:57 AM, Rod Smith wrote:
> In principle, you could exit from
> MythTV and use tvtime or some such to do the job, but that's a bit
> of a
> nuisance. (Or could the MythTV menus be customized to launch such a
> program
> from a menu item?)

There's a way to customize the LiveTV option to launch something like
tvtime instead.  I can't remember how to do it, though; I've never
been that interested, since it would mean losing the ability to pause
live TV.

> All that said, I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to use a
> monitor as a
> TV. I'm not quite ready to buy an HDTV set, so I've only been
> paying very
> casual attention to standards and prices. My impression is that
> computer
> monitors of a given size are about as expensive as HDTVs of the
> same size.

Also, larger wide-screen computer monitors often include composite
and SVIDEO inputs.  I have a Dell LCD monitor sitting on my desk that
has DVI, VGA, composite, and SVIDEO built in.