[mythtv-users] Multiple back end server confusion.

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:50:16 UTC 2007

On 11/16/07, jack snodgrass <mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2007 1:19 PM, wilky <c.wilky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am attempting to create a multi backend multi tuner configuration.
> > I hope to have 1 Master Server with 2 tuners in it. and 2 secondary backends
> > with 1 tuner each.
> >
> > The Steps i have completed so far. and the errors:
> >  1, Installed MythTV with frontend and database on Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop.
> >  2, Installed MythTV to each of the secondary servers each with one tuner.
> >  3, connected Secondary servers too master using the password given in
> > /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> >  4, Add both tuners from the Master server.
> >  5, Add Each tuner from the 2 secondary servers.
> >
> > Now for the Error.
> > When i attempt too use the backend tuners they are unavailable.
> > The backend status shows them as not connected.
> > if from the secondary server(which each also have frontend installed) I
> > attempt to watch TV. they use the masters tuners first, but cannot use the
> > tuners that are in the secondary.
> > The Secondaries can read from the master database as they can see the
> > Recorded items  and play them back .
> >
> > I have searched and searched for a HOWTO for a multi backend with multi
> > tuner to no avail.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Chris
> >

> I might have had similar issues a few months back when I set up my first
> multi-backend system... did you make sure and identify each system
> uniquely when you ran mythtv-setup on each back end? The back end
> tuners get tracked using their unique system identifiers... if you don't
> make them unique, then the master server won't know which tuner
> goes where.... It wasn't obvious ( to me... for the first time doing
> a multi-backend-setup ) what the error was at first... once I configured
> each backen with it's own name and re-setup the cards, then the
> master backend reported each tuner with the correct box on the
> http://mythbox:6544/
> status page.

The original poster didn't actually mention that he was running the
backend (mythbackend) on the slave backends.  The obvious reason that
a tuner on a slave is reported as "unavailable" is when the backend
running on the slave has crashed (or wasn't started).

So start the backend on each slave.  Check the backend logs on the
slaves.  All look ok or errors?

Check the master backend log.  It should say remote backends are
connecting.  Or are there errors in the log?