[mythtv-users] Problem with "Follow symbolic links when deleting files"

moodyjunk at frontiernet.net moodyjunk at frontiernet.net
Sat Nov 17 04:13:17 UTC 2007

 From my /mythtv recordings directory I setup symbolic links for some
files pointing to a child directory (/mythtv/movies):
    /mythtv# ln -s movies/<filename>.mpg

Watching of the recording from the GUI works fine along with the
preview window.  However, when I delete it from the GUI after viewing,
the symlink is removed, but the recording file remains.  I do have
"Follow symbolic links when deleting files" checked.  I viewed
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log and found:

Error deleting '/mythtv/1135_20071007130000.mpg' ->
'movies/1135_20071007130000.mpg': No such file or directory

If I change the symlink to specify the full path
    /mythtv# ln -si /mythtv/movies/<filename>.mpg
the delete works fine.

I think this is a bug.  If the symlink works for viewing, it should
also work for deleting.  I hope the developers are watching :-)