[mythtv-users] HELP: No temp tables permissions: SOLVED, not understood

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Nov 17 05:28:01 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:

>> REALLY REALLY STUMPED HERE.

>> HELP...NOW I do not even have a running system!

> Did you perhaps change a path to a non existant file or permissions on
> the existing one?

No.

Mysqld is passed --tmpdir=/tmp/mysql which has 775 permissions.
It does not use that directory however. Mythfilldatabase writes to /tmp
and creates a mythtv-ddp-xxxxxx directory with cache files in it...So
that part *seems* to be working, although not as I expect.

BUT ...
2007-11-16 22:18:57.913 Upgrading to schema version 1190
2007-11-16 22:18:57.913 DB Error (Performing database upgrade):
Query was: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpcodecparams AS SELECT * FROM
codecparams WHERE name = 'mpeg4scalebitrate';
Error was: Driver error was [2/1005]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't create table 'tmpcodecparams' (errno: 13)

new version: 1190
2007-11-16 22:18:57.913 Database Schema upgrade FAILED, unlocking.

Been banging my head against the wall on this one for 4 days now....and
completely stumped on simple answers..so brute force and ignorance to
the fore...

I gave the /tmp directory to mysql:mysql from root and set permissions
to 777...(yup, brute force!)

AND THAT WORKED...

Why it would not work as root:root with 777 I have no idea. Why it
changed and stopped working from the prior state I have no idea.
And the temp directories which are created in /tmp *are owned by root!*.

No idea....
But it's working again
Geoff