[mythtv-users] new YouTube plugin for MythTV‏

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Sat Nov 17 13:10:46 UTC 2007

On Friday, 16 Nov 2007 09:52:18 -0800,
David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote :

> > One has to wonder why in the world would *non-Windows* developers
> > use root for this purpose.  They must have a deep magical knowledge
> > that I have not yet reached.  Or that I threw away a long time
> > ago ;-)
>

> priority?  A normal user can't do that.  I used to run CD burner
> apps as root for that reason -- raising the priority helped prevent
> "burning a coaster" due to buffer underruns.

Correct me if I wrong, but I think one application can get the root
privileges at the start in order to call the proper function(s) to
change the priority for itself and then relinquish those rights.  I
think that's how X operates as I would doubt that X runs as root all the
time.  Other apps are also doing that and the ones in the security
field makes it clear that the root rights are relinquished as soon as
they did what they had to do, usually at the launch of the application.

Al