[mythtv-users] Basic TV-out question

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Nov 18 02:39:20 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007 21:24:40 Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2007 7:55 PM, Michael Moon <moonf4 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I just setup my MythDora 4 system and all is great so far. My video card
> > is an Nvidia 6200. I installed the new Nvidia Linux drivers and the
> > played around with some of the settings in the driver gui interface. I
> > was able to get the TV-out working but it just showed as an extended
> > desktop. I am assuming that with proper configuration, just the output
> > fromMythTv is sent to the TV. Is that correct? Is there a setting in
> > MythTV that handles that or is that configuration all done in the
> > xorg.conf file?
>
> No.  Whatever is on the Linux machine is shown to the TV.  Myth, when
> running, will be fullscreen so it will be the only thing you see.

Note that having the normal Linux desktop display on your TV can be handy
sometimes. For instance, if MythTV crashes, you can easily re-launch it from
an xterm window. You can also quit from MythTV to manually launch other
programs. This can be handy both for video programs, such as xine and
mplayer, and for system administration tools or other applications. I find
that being able to access a text-mode terminal (by hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1 when
MythTV is running) is a good way to run little text-mode tools such as custom
scripts, system diagnostics, etc.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com