[mythtv-users] MythTV Status in your MOTD - Version 0.4

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Sun Nov 18 19:09:32 UTC 2007

Gidday,

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 08:47 -0500, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
>
> > No idea, I run it every 10 minutes and it is fine, but that was just a
> > number I plucked out of thin air.  I suggest trying it out!
>
> Rather than modifing MOTD every few minutes, why not just add mythtv-status
> to your .bashrc file (or whatever is appropriate for your choice of shell),
> so you get an actual current status update when you log in ?

Simple reason, speed.  When I first wrote mythtv-status I was running it
out of my .profile, bit it slowed down logging in by about 2-3 seconds.
Which was just enough to be annoying.

That is why I decided to update the MOTD instead.  This way how long the
script takes to run doesn't matter, you never have to run it
interactively.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand