[mythtv-users] Watch TV default tuner?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Nov 18 19:11:51 UTC 2007

We usually never watch Live TV, but we have some house guests that are
news junkies.  Obviously, recording news is kind of silly, so they have
been bugging me about problems when watching Live TV which I new existed
but it's been low priority for me (up until now).

I recently added an HDHomeRun to get two HD inputs.  As you can guess,
compared to the DirecTV boxes, theover-the-air HD channels are somewhat
limiting in channel selection.  I would like to have it such that the
DirecTV tuner boxes are selected first when (and only when) watching
live tv, but I would still like MythTV to record scheduled recordings on
HD first.

I realize that you can change tuners when watching Live TV, but it is an
inconvenience and it is difficult to train our house guests to make that
extra step (ok, these guests are in their 70s).  And, after last night's
'conversation' as to why tuner #1 wasn't coming up at all (tuner #2 and
tuner #3 were recording, and tuner #4 and tuner #5 are from the
HDHomeRun) and why they couldn't simply "watch tv", I am hoping to get
things so that they 'just work' for them yet not disrupt our recording
of shows.

Is it possible to do this?

(the issue with being unable to switch to tuner #1 on this one set
baffles me (it was not in use))

-Rich