[mythtv-users] Watch TV default tuner?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Nov 18 20:49:15 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/18/2007 02:11 PM, Rich West wrote:
>
>> We usually never watch Live TV, but we have some house guests that are
>> news junkies.  Obviously, recording news is kind of silly,
>>

> I just don't get this belief.  My parents think the same.  They refuse
> to record the news on their (non-Myth) PVR because "it's not like it's
> worth watching tomorrow"...  But, if one were to record the news, he can
> a) start watching whenever he wants, b) skip boring/stupid parts (true,
> there would be nothing left), c) skip commercials, and d) spend all the
> time he saves doing other things.  After all, if you start watching the
> 6:00 news at 6:20, is it really that stale?  Is it really a big deal if
> it gets recorded and you don't watch it and it's deleted tomorrow?

The big thing, I think, is that the true PVR concept isn't grasped

>>  so they have
>> been bugging me about problems when watching Live TV which I new existed
>> but it's been low priority for me (up until now).
>>

> Remember that you're even recording LiveTV and it's not deleted until
> tomorrow.  So, just set up a recording rule that records and tell Myth
> to auto-expire recordings and keep only one episode of each news show
> you record.  And, if the news is the only thing on at the time, you can
> set it to an extremely low priority so it's expired first (assuming you
> use a priority-based auto-expiration algorithm).
>
> IMHO, LiveTV is a complete waste of time--even for news and sports.

Agreed.. but if it isn't live, my folks think it isn't current, and,
hence, not worth watching.  Trying to convince them otherwise is like
trying to sell an Eskimo an ice maker in the middle of an Arctic storm.

The problem is that they are here only for a short time (a week?) and I
can't get out of them what they watch.  "Sometimes, MSNBC, CNN, Headline
News, Local News, and then other times other stations, too"  Setting up
a recording rule for that seems almost impossible. :(

>> (the issue with being unable to switch to tuner #1 on this one set
>> baffles me (it was not in use))
>>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>
> then, while reconnecting inputs, connect them in order such that the
> most-preferred input is first.

Did you mean that the input connections are broken for the one front end
but not for the other two, or did you mean that the only way to get it
to tune to the DirecTV box vs. the HDHome Run is to delete and
re-connect all of the inputs?  *boggle*

The inputs *are* in that order:
inputs 1-3 are DirecTV, recording priority 5, 10 and 10 (for a short
period of time there, we thought we had a problem with the first STB)
inputs 4 and 5 are HDHomeRun, recording priority 15

In the 'cardinput' table, there's a 'preference' column.. would that
have anything to do with it (they are all set to '0').

Thanks for the quick response!
-Rich