[mythtv-users] mythtvosd crashing frontend

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Nov 18 21:18:00 UTC 2007

I'm probably one of the few people using mythtvosd, but I was wondering
if anyone else was having similar issues.

I've got the NCID client installed on each of my front end systems.  The
whole point of NCID is to display CallerID information on the mythtv
screen when either watching recordings, live tv, or videos if a call
comes in.  It does this via mythtvosd.

Now, about 90% of the time it works flawlessly.  The remaining 10% of
the time, the call to mythtvosd will cause the entire mythfrontend
application to crash.  This only started happening when I upgraded to
0.20.2 for the SchedulesDirect.org switch over back in late August.
This has been on my list of things to look in to, but it was little more
than an annoyance (we don't get a lot of calls to start with) that I had
kept putting off.

However, with some recent visitors, this has been more noticeable.
Ugh.  I could simply disable NCID on the myth boxes and be done with it,
but it is a nice feature (without the frontend crashing aspect). :)  Is
it worth reporting this issue...?  Or is it just localized to me..?

-Rich