[mythtv-users] Watch TV default tuner?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 18 21:35:21 UTC 2007

On 11/18/2007 03:49 PM, Rich West wrote:
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>>
>> then, while reconnecting inputs, connect them in order such that the
>> most-preferred input is first.
>>
> Did you mean that the input connections are broken

Not really broken.  Just need reordering.

>  for the one front end
> but not for the other two, or did you mean that the only way to get it
> to tune to the DirecTV box vs. the HDHome Run is to delete and
> re-connect all of the inputs?  *boggle*

Delete all video sources (which will disconnect input connections), then
reorder inputs when re-connecting inputs.

> The inputs *are* in that order:
> inputs 1-3 are DirecTV, recording priority 5, 10 and 10 (for a short
> period of time there, we thought we had a problem with the first STB)
> inputs 4 and 5 are HDHomeRun, recording priority 15
>
> In the 'cardinput' table, there's a 'preference' column.. would that
> have anything to do with it (they are all set to '0').

OK, I was trying not to get into the details (to save me time/brain
power--both of which are a bit lacking today), but it sounds to me like
they're not in the right order.

You said:
> I would like to have it such that the DirecTV tuner boxes are selected
> first when (and only when) watching live tv, but I would still like
> MythTV to record scheduled recordings on HD first.

which says to me that you want HDHomeRun inputs as 1 and 2 (best ones
first), then DirectTV inputs as 3-5.  Since you want the least-preferred
inputs used for LiveTV, enable the setting "Avoid conflicts between live
TV and scheduled shows."  That way, recordings use the HDHomeRun (if the
show's available on them) and LiveTV always starts on DirecTV.

Also, generally, the preference numbers on inputs don't do what people
think, so I'd recommend making it work without using them.

Mike