[mythtv-users] How to record from a specific source ?

David Shay david at shay.net
Sun Nov 18 22:03:09 UTC 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 11:40 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 11/17/2007 08:00 AM, lanas wrote:
> > On Friday, 16 Nov 2007 18:35:44 -0500, lanas wrote :
> >>   I have two inputs on the PVR500.  One from digital cable (i.e.
> >> channel 3, composite input), the other from straight cable.  I want to
> >> manually set a recording time for the composite input. but there seems
> >> to be no such option but a choice of channels.  Is it possible at
> >> all ?
> >>
> > What I did in the end was to remove a connection from MythTV setup so
> > that only the compositie (i.e. digital cable box) remains.  This assured
> > that the channel 3 specified in manual recording was indeed the channel
> > 3 from that specific input.
> >
> > But that's awkward.  Shutting down the frontend and backend to run
> > mythtvsetup, etc...  And afterwards adding back tuner 1.
> >

> Ummm...  Channel change script.  If specified, MythTV doesn't change the
> channel, it runs the script.
>
> If you mean you're unplugging the STB from composite to record something
> from, i.e., a VCR, that's not the same video source (and, therefore, has
> different--i.e. only one--channels).  You need to fix your
> configuration.  Search the archives for explanations of how to do this
> (and why--in most any case--using some tool other than MythTV to do the
> recording is more appropriate).
>
> > I'm quite surprised that a choice of inputs is not offered when
> > scheduling a recording.  It assumes that all inputs are from the same
> > source
>
> Think that over...  You configured MythTV with mythtv-setup, where you
> specified Input Connections.  There, you specify which video source is
> connected to which inputs (and you specify things like the external
> channel change command...).
>
> >  and that's a bit surprising in the Linux world where modularity
> > is a strong aspect.
> >
> > Or perhaps I'm missing something completly.  It surely does not seem
> > obvious from the user menus.  How would you schedule a recording from a
> > specific input of a multi-input TV card ?
> You don't.  If it's available on multiple inputs, MythTV chooses which
> input to use.  If it's /not/ available on multiple inputs, but MythTV
> thinks it is, you've misconfigured your system.
>
> Mike

After reading this and your other post on LiveTV delays accessing cable box
menus, Ianas,I think you are missing a key piece.  If you want to have Myth
connected to your digital cable box, for one, you would in most
circumstances need to give Myth "total" control over the cable box, not
"sometimes we watch it direct" and "sometimes we watch it through Myth".  In
order to make this work for you, I believe the one key piece you might be
missing is the ability to have Myth change channels on the cable box.  To
achieve this, you would most likely need to have an IR Blaster.  Some cable
boxes allow changing channels via serial ports or firewire, but IR blasting
works pretty much universally.

If you use this approach, the cable box is only connected to the Myth
backend , and then Myth frontends are connected to the TV.  Sorry if this is
an oversimplication, but between this and the other post, I believe you are
trying to do something that is very atypical and overly complicated that
could be solved with a simple IR blaster.  If you need recommendations,
check out www.lirc.org or the MythTV wiki here :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV (which
is a good page for you to read anyway).