[mythtv-users] MythTV/TiVo integration

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 10:22:01 UTC 2007

On Mon 19 Nov 2007 09:27:04 Bill Williamson wrote:
> On 11/19/07, Neil Dunbar <neil.dunbar at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Question: has anyone used a TiVo as a IP recorder from MythTV?
>
> WHY though?  Using the tivo as a frontend is a "I can see why"
> prospect.  This is just plain silly seeing how cheap analog tuner
> cards with svideo-in are, seeing as that's all a tivo is for capture.

I guess I was thinking how I can integrate TV-related boxes that I've already
got on the network such that they can interoperate well. I've got an old
PVR-350 which used to be in the Myth box, but frankly, the TiVo does a better
job of channel switching the cable TV box, as well as having a better Live TV
experience (IMHO). UK live TV isn't (yet) as insufferable as US live TV, so
Live TV experience is still important to me.

I suspect the real answer would be to get a Dreambox DVB-C rather than the
Virgin Media cable box, then hook that up to Myth as another tuner, rather
than trying to use the TiVo as a slave recorder. Trying to get the TiVo
operating from two distinct control points (its own remote and MythTV) is
probably a mistake, with the possibility of conflict.

Cheers,

Neil