[mythtv-users] Adjusting the recording frame on a PVR500?

Justin Hornsby justin at mythtvthemes.co.uk
Mon Nov 19 13:34:55 UTC 2007

Marc Sherman wrote:
> All recordings made by my PVR500 are slightly mis-framed; there's a
> small black bar along the bottom, maybe about 10 pixels. I suspect that
> I'm missing the same amount of data from the top, as well. Is there any
> way to adjust the framing of recordings, either in the mythtv setup or
> with ivtv driver parameters?
>
> The worst part is, for the past month and a half (since I first got Myth
> running), it hasn't bugged me -- every once in a while I'd notice it,
> and say to myself, "nah, it's just an optical illusion, because the
> border of the lcd is black and bevelled." Last night I actually walked
> up to the screen and looked at it closely, confirming that it's indeed
> part of the image. For the rest of the night, it bothered me immensely,
> and now I think I may have gone and ruined the mythtv experience for
> myself. :)
>
> - Marc

What you'll actually find is that the capture card is grabbing the whole
video signal including the parts you don't normally see on a TV (you
don't see them because TVs generally overscan).  Users with ordinary TVs
needn't worry about that because the normally unseen parts remain unseen
(again due to overscan).

This is one of the reasons why the 'holy grail' of using PCs on flat
panels (i.e. making the desktop edges fit the screen edges precisely) is
slightly misguided.  It's actually _useful_ to have around 5% of the
picture 'off screen' at the edges.