[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:39:46 UTC 2007

i've been considering migrating from an all-in-one (FE/BE) solution to
a separate FE, BE (and possibly separate DB) solution for a little
while now; but i don't have an extra machine to purpose as a dedicated
BE.

however, i just came across this deal:

> 1 Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz server with 256 MB of memory
>     - contains QTY=2 18GB internal SCA Ultra-160 SCSI drives
> 1 Dell PowerVault 220S disk array
>     - contains QTY=10 18GB SCA Ultra-160 SCSI drives
>
> Come with LVD-SCSI cables and 3 power cords.  No operating system.

the PowerEdge is a 1GHz PIII machine, which should be good enough for
a BE considering all my capture cards are hardware MPEG.

two questions:
1) does anyone know the what the availability of SCA Ultra-160 SCSI
drives is like?  (i haven't Googled yet...)
2) would it be stretching this machine to function as a BE running
comm flagging/transcoding and dealing with HD (when i get there)?

i think i can pick this gear up for ~$200, which is quite a bit less
than i was going to spend on a new BE.

thoughts/comments?

thanks!