[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon Nov 19 17:15:15 UTC 2007

On 19 Nov 2007 at 8:39, Andrew Close wrote:

> i think i can pick this gear up for ~$200, which is quite a bit less
> than i was going to spend on a new BE.
>
> thoughts/comments?

I wouldn't. $200 is too much for this box. A 1 GHZ P III? Only 216 GB of
storage? You've got to be kidding. I've THROWN AWAY better machines
than this. I'm not sure I'd haul it home if it was given to me.

It's ancient, power hungry, slow, probably noisy with all those tiny disks and
fans, huge, and not much total disk space for a MythTV box.

Disks will be outrageously expensive compared to equivalent storage using
modern SATA drives, for no real advantage. I've found 750 GB SATA drives
for $140, why on earth would you pay a premium for SCSI 160 drives?

I almost want to say "If you already had it" but in fact I have a similar system
here, sitting in a closet, unused. I just can't find any justification to drag it out.

Marvin