[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 17:51:58 UTC 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 11:15 AM,  <match at ece.utah.edu> wrote:
> On 19 Nov 2007 at 8:39, Andrew Close wrote:
>

> > i think i can pick this gear up for ~$200, which is quite a bit less
> > than i was going to spend on a new BE.
> >
> > thoughts/comments?
> >
> I wouldn't. $200 is too much for this box. A 1 GHZ P III? Only 216 GB of
> storage? You've got to be kidding. I've THROWN AWAY better machines
> than this. I'm not sure I'd haul it home if it was given to me.
>
> It's ancient, power hungry, slow, probably noisy with all those tiny disks and
> fans, huge, and not much total disk space for a MythTV box.
>
> Disks will be outrageously expensive compared to equivalent storage using
> modern SATA drives, for no real advantage. I've found 750 GB SATA drives
> for $140, why on earth would you pay a premium for SCSI 160 drives?
>
> I almost want to say "If you already had it" but in fact I have a similar system
> here, sitting in a closet, unused. I just can't find any justification to drag it out.
>
> Marvin

Marvin,
thanks for the reply.  that's kinda what i was looking for,  just
smack me upside the head.  :)
i have a couple old Pentium machines still in the closet and i haven't
used them for firewalls, routers, etc. because they would be energy
hungry and can be replaced by much smaller, more efficient appliances.
thanks!