[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Nov 19 19:53:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:07:00PM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> > >    It may have its applications, but video storage isn't one of them.
> >
> > I'm tempted to say "go open the case on one of your Grass Valley
> > Profile's", but that would be mean.  :-)
> >
> I don't consider it a good storage media for video either as well as
> any drive under 250GB because of electricity usage and heat especially
> with 500GB SATA drives are around $100US.

In evaluting what I think is a Good Idea for storage solutions for
MythTV, remember that my sister is an Archiver, not a Catch and Release
viewer.  So we're a bit more inclined to SCSI, or RAID, or both (not
that we actually have either implemented at the moment).

But Cost/Benefit Analyses include benefit, as well we costs.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA