[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 2550 1 GHz as dedicated backend/storage..?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 19 22:04:18 UTC 2007

>> them.
>> >
>> > I'm tempted to say "go open the case on one of your Grass Valley
>> > Profile's", but that would be mean.  :-)
>> >
>> I don't consider it a good storage media for video either as well as
>> any drive under 250GB because of electricity usage and heat especially
>> with 500GB SATA drives are around $100US.
>
> In evaluting what I think is a Good Idea for storage solutions for
> MythTV, remember that my sister is an Archiver, not a Catch and Release

    If you are an archiver than the cost of SCSI is going to be a killer.
Companies aren't even bothering to us SCSI for "archiving" anymore and
are instead opting for ATA based solutions.

> viewer.  So we're a bit more inclined to SCSI, or RAID, or both (not
> that we actually have either implemented at the moment).
>
> But Cost/Benefit Analyses include benefit, as well we costs.

    You're not hammering the disk hard enough to justify the extra
cost of SCSI disks. SATA is more than reliable enough and more than
fast enough for this purpose.

[deletia]