[mythtv-users] Fedora 8, Intel G33 video, opengl vertical sync issues

Jason Surprise thesurprises1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 19 22:40:05 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 20:05 -0500, George Nassas wrote:
> On 10-Nov-07, at 10:30 PM, Jason Surprise wrote:
>
> > latest intel 2.1.1 xorg driver which I couldn't figure out how to
> > build
> > is enabled. glxgears is working.  However, I am now unable to set 'Use
> > OpenGL for vertical sync for timing' in mythtv.  I get video that is
> > unwatchable and the following error message from myth:
> > 2007-11-10 19:25:23.068 OpenGLVideoSync::Start(): A/V Sync reported
> > error: Bad Context
>

> Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now.
>
> The problem is the 2.1.1 driver only supports GL sync for 3D
> operations. Luckily it's easy to restore support for 2D sync as well.
> Details are here:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-June/025304.html
>
> Basically go to src/i830_dri.c and make I830DRITransitionTo2d look a
> lot like I830DRITransitionTo3d. Myth now reports it's using DRI sync
> instead of OpenGL but whatever, the tearing is gone, the picture is
> awesome and life is good.
>
> Later in the thread the developers signal they're going to straighten
> this out at some point so you won't have to patch the driver forever.
>
> - George

Thank you!!  I patched the 2.1.1 driver and now I am able to use OpenGL
sync.  I also found out that I can now use Bob 2x deinterlace as well
and notice much smoother HD playback.

I am still seeing some tearing with HD content.  I am wondering if I
should try the 2.2.0 version of the driver?  Also since I know I can
play around with the intel driver source code now, anyone know how I can
get it to choose the 2nd xv port (Video Overlay) by default?

Thanks very much,
Jason